Sunday, May 18, 2008

Recipes worth noting from Lite and Delicious cuisine of India by Madu Gahdia.
Just as a slight tangent... Why do recipes use the misspelling of "Light"? Or is "Lite" really a word. I could look it up but I'm too lazy.
Alu Gobhi
1 med. cauliflower (4cups)
2 med. potatoes
4 tsp. Veg oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped (cilantro)
  1. Cut up cauli into 1 inch florets and peel, wash potatoes and cut into 1" pieces- set aside.
  2. Heat Veg oil in nonstick skillet and brown over med. heat for few seconds.
  3. Add Cauli and pots.
  4. Add Ginger, turmeric, salt and cay. pepper. Stir to coat vegs.
  5. Cover with a lid, heat through and reduce heat. Simmer for 8-10 min until veg are tender but firm.
  6. Sprinkle coriander powder, lemon juice and garam masala. Stir. Increase heat to med. and pour remaining 2 tsp of oil around the sides, allowing the oil to get to the bottom of the pan. Fry for 3-5 mins. Stir occasionally in a lifting and turning fashion to avoid mashing veg. all the liquid should be evaporated.
  7. Transfer to serving platter and garnish with fresh coriander.

I should be honest and say I added a few splashes of coconut milk to the recipe. I like it a little creaminess to my Alu Gohbi but have notices that its not really how its supposed to be cooked. I don't know where I ate it that it was creamy (I think in Davenport) but I really like it that way and am disappointed when restaurants serve it dry.

Here is how you make Garam Masala:

  1. 1 1/2 Tblsp whole cardamom
  2. 4 cinnamon sticks broken into pieces
  3. 1 tsp whole black pepper
  4. 1 tsp cumin seeds
  5. 1 Tblsp whole cloves
  6. 2 bay leaves broken up
  7. 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
  8. 1 tsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves-optional)
  9. Pinch of saffron (optional)

Put everything into your coffee grinder and powder finely.

I obviously didn't use the optional items and I thought the recipes I tried still tasted as they should.

The paneer was easy because you just had to spread part skim ricotta into a pan and then bake until the water evaporated. It's not true paneer but it works for American purposes. I used it to make Matar Paneer and it tasted really good. Kent even ate it despite the fact that he hates peas and it was a dish consisting primarily of peas. Those of you who want more will have to check out the book. I'll return it before next weekend.


2 comments:

Katy said...

Ok, I posted it, Sara... Now I would like the recipe for that wonderful Vegetable Curry you made. Yum.
Next one of us should try Samosas. I would but I hate frying food in my house with the stink.
Also I should note that I also saw a recipe for Garam that included Ginger powder.

Will Coghill-Behrends said...

mmmmmmm I want to come to dinner at your house soon!